A Dumping Ground For Good Ideas!

Everything That Makes A House A Home!




Thursday, August 4, 2011

Caribbean Sea- Upgrade your black coffee table!

Hello! I'm Sarah. Amy's sister in law. A little intro about me.. I have been married for almost a year now. My husband is attending school out here in Hawaii. He loves it more than anything and I have actually learned to like it, not love yet. Chris and I will be transferring to BYU Provo in December. I love crafts and my goal is to be an interior designer. So I am going to be adding tutorials of crafts to this blog. The best part is that they are so easy and cheap. A caveman could do it.



Amy called the other day and asked if I wanted to be her partner in crime. I was so thrilled to be invited, I immediately started a craft.



I have a lot of black furniture. And very white walls. Since I live in a place where I can't paint the walls. I am painting my furniture. (No, not my couch). I have a cute black table that I have been using as a coffee table. Then we got a bigger TV so I used it for that. But it was still a lot of black. So I found a print I wanted to use and I went to the good ole Wal Mart for the paint.



This is the print. I am absolutely in love with it. I want to use it on everything.






Chris and I went to the paint isle and there it was, bold, bright and beautiful. My color.



Caribbean Sea






The paint was about ten bucks for a quart. (Honestly I have no idea how expensive that is. I am so use to Hawaii prices. This will all be cheaper if you live on mainland).



What You'll Need:

paint (however much you want) one or two colors

paint rollers

yard stick

scissors

sanding block

blue painting tape

pencil

cardboard



How To:

1. Start by sanding down the table using a sand block. Don't do it too hard.

2. Trace your print onto a cardboard. I didn't have a stencil so I made mine up.

Don't freak out, it's easy. All you need is a yard stick or ruler, a pencil and a piece of cardboard.

Here's how..

On the cardboard, using the yard stick, draw two parallel lines three inches apart.




a. Make a mark on on both parallel lines every four inches.




b. Draw a line connecting hash marks to desired pattern.




c. Then cut it out. You have your stencil.




3. Take your stencil and with a pencil, trace it onto whatever your are painting. (Table, chair, wall, etc.)

4. Take your blue tape and tape of the edges of every other line.





5. Pour a little of one color of paint into a rolling pan and start painting.




6. Let it dry!

I left mine overnight. I didn't want to risk it looking bad.

7. Take the blue tape off. Be careful. Although it should be dry.. just be careful.

8. Then start over. (If you are using two colors).

So use the blue tape and lay it on the edges of the first color.




9. Start painting.




10. Let it dry. At least four to five hours. Just to be safe.



11. Take the tape off and you are finished!




















1 comment:

  1. Hooray for you Sarah! That looks awesome! I am so glad that you are doing this with me!

    ReplyDelete